Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Windy Freiburg

Jan has been sucked into the student teaching world, so I have my afternoons at the apartment to myself these days. That means that I get sucked into the Internet - but I also get to try baking.

Tonight I am planning on making brownies for one of my classes after a day of much much much improved behavior. (Yes, I resort to bribery) But unsurprisingly my plans are on hold because they sell no peppermint extract or unsweetened chocolate at the supermarket I stopped by. There are surprisingly few baking supplies available in Germany (no brown sugar, no vanilla extract, no corn syrup, etc) at least at the more local chain stores. I will stop by Migros (giant Swiss store in the middle of the city) in hopes that the Information desk will help me out and I will be able to make these brownies tonight. Because they sound sooooooo good.

I would use creme de menthe but these are for my students - better not to give them alcohol regardless how small the quantitiy is. However valium...

In other news the wind is howling and a cold front is coming. Jane - bring your winter coat. Flurries and sub zero temperataures for the foreseeable future await you. Ok - not as bad as Boston, but you actually have to walk around and wait for trains and be outdoors around here :)

1 comment:

G in Berlin said...

I'm not certain if you care, but unsweetened chocolate is readily available in Liedl, Rewe, etc although strangely enough sometimes in the candy section.I make my own vanilla extract with vodka and vanilla beans and 6 weeks steeping. Brown sugar is at Asian markets, although not dark (or I have not found dark) and not as good as in the US. Corn syrup is called glucose here and peppermint extract I have never used- I might go for a teaspoon of peppermint schnapps.