Thursday, April 30, 2009

Letter to Lia - 1 Week Old Today!

Dear Lia,

You are one week old today! I can’t believe it. Time has been flying by. I can already not imagine life without you. We were very lucky to have your grandma and my mom here to help us. She helped make the transition – me to being a mother, and you to being a baby (as the doctor kept saying, just over one week ago, you were still just a fetus) – smoothly.

You are an incredibly easy baby. You almost never cry. You look at everybody with your blue eyes and they fall in love with you. Evolution did a good job with making babies lovable, but you are especially lovable. The midwife says that we are doing an amazing job breast feeding and you easily gained back your weight. (I will tell you a secret though – I have no idea what I am doing, so you get all the credit.) She also says that you are already getting a bottom and developing your curves.

The nights have been long, but not even too hard. You wake up and want to eat, need to be changed, and like to be held. Today you were very alert during the day, so maybe you will go easy on me tonight!

I love holding you and watching your face change expressions. You are a master of facial expressions, smiling one moment, grimacing the next, then yawning (when you yawn you look like a turtle). You also move your arms all the time.

Your daddy also loves you very much. He thinks that you are so smart that you are ready to play catch. He is especially good at calming you down when you have indigestion. (I think this might be a family calamity.) We found out that the two of you have the same little indentation next to your ears.

It amazes me that you developed out of a microscopic sperm and egg. Then you grew in my stomach nine more months, and here you are. You are doing such a good job entering the world. (I know it must have been pretty traumatic.)

I love you forever and more than I could ever express Lia.

Your Mommy.

No comments: