Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pumpkin Soup

In honor of fall, last week I decided to make pumpkin soup. Pumpkin soup is very popular in Germany and somehow I kept hearing about it. So I sent Jan off to the store to find some canned pumpkin or at least some form of pumpkin that is ready for cooking. Jan came home with two very nice looking class jars of cubed pumpkin. So one chilly night I picked up a can of coconut milk and set of to make Thai inspired pumpkin soup. This went well as I sauteed the onions, put in some spices and then poured in the pumpkin chunks. At this point I decided to taste the pumpkin and it tasted sort of funny. I looked at the jar and realized that it was PICKLED PUMPKIN. Gross. So not sure what to do, I kept on cooking the soup, hoping that you can cook out pickle flavor. I learned that no matter what you add, the pickle flavor goes nowhere. Soon there will be pumpkin soup take two.

No comments: