Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Teaching Night

I ordered the book Night by Elie Wiesel in the beginning of the school year. I have found that this book with a compelling message and a jarring exposure of not so distant history is enough to enrapture even the most resistant readers. I taught it during both my years of teaching in the US (it is fairly universally on the Freshman English curriculum) and I understood that my students would be at about that equivalent level. What I failed to consider is the protective nature of Swiss parents, especially when it comes to violence.

So I realized that I need to tread lightly. I talked to my students about the prospect of reading the book - I wanted to find out if any had a reaction against it, even personally talking to the younger and/or more sensitive of my students. I do not want to expose kids to something that they think they are not ready for. Then I discussed it with my principal - he supported me.

Another argument for teaching the book is the not so subtle undercurrent of intolerance that I find in my students. They can be quite nasty - as children can be- when it comes to issues nationality, race, religion, and sexuality. I am not usually one to be become so worked up - it takes a lot. But when I hear my students saying incredibly insensitive and disturbing things with the confidence that they are right, it does incense me. This is an the aftermath of a very anti immigrant election with undertones or racism. A popular image was a group of three white sheep then a black sheep being kicked out.

So, I see Night as a book that can be used to teach methods of tolerance, and help students become a bit self reflective. Hopefully, that will learn to question. What am I saying? Why am I saying it? How does it impact other people? Why is it dangerous?

We will see.

No comments: