Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Coffee and Cake

Two weekends ago I spent a delightful afternoon having coffee, cake and talking to a family in Freiburg. The daughters had participated in an exchange at good old RMHS and met my wonderful mom - who sent me key necessities like Chai Tea, my sneakers, clothes, and SPLENDA, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Oh, and Eat, Pray, Love which makes me want to run away to Rome, the land of open and emotional people.

It was really wonderful to meet this couple who told me all about life in Freiburg, and even offered to work on my German with me once a week! What a great connection. The lent me books and movies too. They strongly recommended this big fat book about building a cathedral that I forget a name of (very flattering considering my German ability) and I have worked through 100 pages. Only 900 left to go.

Story about the book:

That other day I was reading the book in the train, and the man across me said, "That's a really long book." To which I replied, "Yes, that I am reading very slowly." That goes something like (forgive me for my buchered German). Das ist ein sehr lang Buch - Ja, und ich lese es sehr langsam. Notice the pun on the word lang! I think that is my first German play on language.

So, the moral of the story is that there are wonderful people everywhere and it is great to get to know new people in my city!

No comments: