Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving and Birthday Week !

So I am a year older and another Thanksgiving fatter.

All in all, it was a nice week. I wanted a quiet Sunday birthday. I am pretty tired these days and need the weekends to recover from the weeks more than usual. So I was settled in for a quiet day when Jan surprised me with visitors - his parents and a few friends came over for the very German birthday tradition of cake eating. To understand why this is a German tradition - the cakes are bought by the birthday celebrant, come from a shop, and resemble fancy pies more than cake. But we had a sour cream cheese version, black forest cake, some yummy mocha flavored cake, and something that was orange which I didn't try.

I also made Funfetti cookies - and managed not to eat the dough! A small miracle.

After the guests left, Jan and I went out for dinner. On the way Jan said he wanted potatoes - I said, no thanks to potatoes.

Somehow we ended up with french fries, a bunch of grilled potatoes, and potato salad. And hummus. A very potatoey dinner.

The most special part of the day was that it snowed! A nice surprise. (last year we only had 1 day of slush in Freiburg) And there were roses blooming - which in fact are still blooming after a week in subzero (celsius) temperatures. Amazing.

Thanksgiving was saved by the fact that last years thanksgiving packet was delayed. (This years finally came today!) I had to work in Basel and work in Freiburg, so I didn´t get home until 7. But Jan and I threw together a feast of homemade pumpkin soup, Daddy´s stuffing, and not so home made corn pudding.

It was delicious!

I have a suspicion that my increased belly size is not only due to the growing baby!

Here is belly shot. (Between week 21 and 22)

3 comments:

Jane said...

maybe it's the angle but the belly picture from a month ago almost looks bigger

Cheryl said...

I agree with Jane.

also, Daddy's stuffing recipe was the bomb dot com. thank you so much for that!

Anonymous said...

Hello Sarah and Jan - we're enjoying reading your baby blogs, as we are also a German-American couple in Freiburg with a bundle of joy on the way. Have you been thinking about names? I want to call ours Rumpelstiltskin, but Maike isn't so keen, and if it's a girl it might not be ideal.
Rolf & Maike: grampsoldster@hotmail.com