Thursday, August 2, 2007

Day at the Pool

Jan and I have been out and about most of the time, but today I am spending in cramp induced misery, so I will update on the big events of the last week.

1. Jane left last weekend, so I am abandoned with the Germans. No more studying abroad Americans to grill with and sister to hang out with. I do need to develop some more female friendships around here. All in time.

2. I had my get to know you interview with a family of 4 kids who I will babysit/teach English too. They are adorable and sweet and it seems like a pretty easy way to make some cash. All I can say though, is I hope if I ever have 4 kids we have more space to keep them in. A Freiburg size apartment is just not big enough. All 4 kids share 1 room. Crazy. I will start working with them in September for about 6 hours a week.

3. I spent the day at the pool where Jan 'lifeguards' although there is no such thing as real lifeguarding in Germany. For a country that is supposed to be highly structured and regulated, they forgot about swimming pools. Jan keeps telling me that the parents are watching the kids so they don't really need lifeguards at every pool. After watching parents totally ignore their 2 year olds as they wander towards kiddy water play areas, I don't believe it. At the pool I also got yelled at by a woman for not showering before getting in the pool. I thought that nobody was serious about the pre pool shower, but apparently here it is. Jan saved the day and told her that I had showered earlier and had since dried off.

Otherwise just relaxing and getting ready for the busyness that will start in a few weeks. I'll be ready to get back to work by then.

I think I'll make a pizza out of the ready made pizza crust I found... so that I can pretend to be good Haus Frau for a little while.

1 comment:

carolyn said...

You are hilarious.