Saturday, August 23, 2008

Back to Work

The temperature has dropped, the constant drizzle is back, and I have resumed my treks to Basel.

On one hand it is nice to have a little more purpose in my weeks - on the other - I miss lying around, reading as much as I want, and visiting beautiful lakes, the pool etc.

It was a good summer. 6 weeks, with a visit every other week. A perfect balance of alone time and visiting time. I also didn´t go to German class during the summer so as to complete de-stress.

I had a major shock when I found out - shortly before school started, that I would be working 5 days per week. After 3 days last year, I thought I would have 4 day weeks. No such luck. This is devastating as far as getting enough sleep goes, but it does have its benefits. My work is evenly distributed and most days I only have 5 classes. (Last year it got to be as many as 9!) So overall it has not been as bad as I thought it might.

German class is German class. Many familiar faces are missing - I am not sure if, like me, some students decided to take extended vacations or if they dropped out altogether. The atmosphere was certainly getting tense before the summer with fights between the teacher and students about her teaching methodology and the students' lack of learning. A lot of anger coming from both sides. Of course, I don't participate in any of this - but it still makes German class more unpleasant and stressful than it has to be. I did find out that I got a 1 on my last German test. Only 1 mistake!!

So...there it is. Back to the grind.

No comments: