Saturday, June 30, 2007

First Day

Today was great. After sleeping until 2, I managed to wake up still exhausted and upset (moving to a new country is pretty upsetting=. Eating and showering cured everything and Jan and I set out to go couch and grocery shopping. We found two excellent couch prospects.. Both fake leather and both with a lounging section. One is a little more enormous than the other...so I'm leaning toward that one. I really don't believe couches are for sitting - I lie on couches and lean against couches while sitting on the ground..so a couch where two people can lie comfortably was a priority. Shopping in Germany is always an adventure and I even managed to order my own coffee! Progress.

My beautiful sister and I reunited over dinner and I'm can't help but think how lucky I am to have family in this city for my first month. I'm trying to think of ways to convince her to move here after college - I think she might.

Jan and I are going to the Bad tomorrow - the baths... So excited. I am in love with the German concept of floating around in hot water for hours to relax. I also love that at least my German feels the need to relax and re energize - which I wouldn't do on my own in quite the same way.

Well..4:37..maybe I can sleep. The jet lag / change to a normal time schedule is not going so well. Nothing seems to convince my body to fall asleep at the early hour of 8 Boston time. Tomorrow I am out of bed by 12 not matter what. I think that it's completely possible that I could spend months on the old time given the incredible darkness of my bedroom. Germans know how to design blinds that keep every tiny little glimmer of light out. I'm starting to think that's not so good when you have abnormal rhythms anyway.

So - today is much better than yesterday. Life in Germany is looking good.

No comments: