Friday, July 6, 2007

Friday

It's been a while... Things have been very busy. Jan and I spent the week running around Freiburg, attempting to organize everything for the wedding.

Monday - We went to the restaurant and made the big decision to have all of the reception activities there. The agenda: 1. cakes and hot drinks 2. a wedding walk (cute huh) 3. all vegetarian salad buffet and wedding cake. oh, and of course wine.

As we were going over what color table clothes and if we want flowers or not, the restaurant served us each a huge salad and delicious salad. As nice as this was, it was awkward eating while sitting across from somebody - who definitely was not eating - and trying to plan.

Tuesday - Off to the cake shop. We did not give enough notice for a fancy cake so we get a less fancy cake. It sounds good...two layers, the bottom with cherry liquor and vanilla, the top with raspberry marmalade and vanilla. The only slightly sketchy thing is that everything will be covered in white, tasteless, somewhat stiff edible material. What happened to frosting! Ohh and there will be marzipan roses. Yum

Wednesday - Off to Basel to learn about my job. So far so good...except for the fact that nobody knows what history I'm teaching and there is really no curriculum for anything. Also, I have a class full of 'difficult boys' which I thought I was escaping by leaving American public education. Sadly, that was only a dream. Hopefully, by difficult boys, they just mean they're a little precocious. There's also the exciting possiblity that I'll do 1 on 1 instruction. I really hope this comes true!!!!

After that I managed to be a slightly embarrassing older sister at a 4th of July party full of study abroad students. Doesn't happen often, so it was fun!

Thursday - Get signed up as a resident of Freiburg. That's not the official residency..we're going for that tomorrow. Also, a case of incredible cramps so a low key evening. I watched 'letters from Iwo Jima'...very moving and intense.

Oh, also met with the insurance man who says insurance is going to cost a lot. I'm conflicted...I want excellent insurance, but I don't want to be paying far more than necessary. It seems that I can't get public insurance, but only rich people get private. We'll see.

Court process/not spriritual marriage on Saturday. I'm excited but nervous.

No comments: