Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Now I'm Officially a Resident

I've been really busy this week. On Monday I became a resident. I was excited about it because I can start 1 Euro per hour German courses. Then I realized that these German courses are going to consume my life for at least a year and I wasn't as excited about it. It looks like my best bet is Europa Schule in Littenweiler (where Jane lives). Classes meet from 6-9 four times a week. Even at that rate it will take about 60 weeks to finish the 600 hours of required German language. There's also a 30 hour course on German society and government. It will all be very helpful, but it's so much time...especially if I try to work more.

The other exciting news today is that we're going to watch Harry Potter tonight in English with the IES kids. I'm really looking forward to it.

Yesterday we bought six chairs for the kitchen so that we don't have to sit on outdoor chairs any more. They're really nice, wooden chairs, that are incredibly solid. So they'll last a long time. We got them at a second hand store so they were a good deal. Our apartment is still just partly finished with bare white walls and bare light bulbs everywhere. It's still pretty comfortable. We put the smelly older leather couch and chairs on ebay so they'll be gone around Sunday and Jan and I will buy a couch. We decided that a couch will be our wedding present to ourselves.

OK...breakfast time.


2 comments:

Daddy said...

Hi, Sarah. Mom and I are here in my office, and are your first commenters - I felt sorry for you seeing, yet again, the zero count. The chairs sound like what Mom got in the yard sale in 1975 (one of which is still in teh kitchen), but they're probably nicer. Since you signed off going to breakfast,I'll go with - off to Reading and dinner at EC!

Anonymous said...

I was googling the Europa Schule and came across your web page. Did you go to the school and if so, how was it - I am thinking of joining there so am interested in your opinion. I took a brief look yesterday and it doesn't inspire visions of great learning!! but I am willing to be open minded....
Emma