Friday, November 30, 2007

End of Nov. Update

Between seasonal angst, work, German class, and working out, I haven't had much free time. Things are going quite well, but not perfectly.

School-Some good days, some bad days. I often find myself asking how kids can be so cruel to each other! Middle school boys are not my favorite demographic. Of course some are wonderful, but the bad ones really can be tough. It will be nice to have a break. I am attempting to increase student interest with cool projects etc. We'll see!

The train - continues to be somewhat a hassle. These days I pass out in the morning so it is mostly a blur then try to read my German romance novels on the way home.

Birthday - Was lovely if low key. I feel old.

The gym - I have become obsessed with the gym-it's quite nice, never too crowded etc. But the best part is the spa. Three different rooms - sauna, steam room, and a sanarium (cross between a sauna and steam room.) After working out, it is very relaxing to lie around in the heat. In between spa sessions there are Roman style rooms with recliners to sit in. You can also put your feet in cold water or go outside (which many German people do but not me) I am still not entirely comfortable with the nudity (it doesn't help that our landlord attends the same gym - haven't met him yet.) Going from working out with people to seeing them naked is quite a jump. Of course I avert my eyes - But my goodness.

The only problem with the gym is getting there. By bus it takes 30 min each way, by bike 10 but not ideal in the dark at 0 degrees Celsius. Luckily are neighbors with a car drive me several times a week...but I would go more if it were easier to get there.

German class - I actually had Jan complain about my teacher. It helped, she no longer yells at me for no reason. I was starting to be quite angry during classes. I have never had anyone flip out at me for doodling during class or browsing through the text book. This is a very controlling woman. My German is getting better and better. My classmates are all very interesting and come from a huge range of countries and cultures. Sadly, we move quite slowly, but for 1 euro per hour I can't complain.

That's about it! Oh...and the weihnachtsmarkt opened on Monday! But that's another update.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey~ I found your blog when I was searching for info about weddings in Germany. I am also an American living in Freiburg ( I saw your wedding post and was like, KGB BAR!!! Love the place :) ). I'm sure your probably busy with Christmas and such, but if you want to meet for some coffee at Uni Cafe or Aspekt let me know! Peace, Andi ( andi dot orourke at mac dot com )