Saturday, November 3, 2007

In Search of Kurbis

It is the Kurbis - or pumpkin - time of year. Everywhere I look I see advertisements or signs of pumpkin soup. What are the cooking on tv? Pumpkin soup. What is that in the newspaper, oh, a recipe for pumpkin soup. I wrote about my attempt to make pumpkin soup with pickled pumpkin..today I was going to find some form of pumpkin and make the soup. So Jan and I got up and went into the city. We browsed the market, but the pumpkins looked hard to deal with, so we decided to try the specialty food shop. Finally, we asked for help. The women helpfully said, that there is no such thing as pumpkin puree, no such thing as cubed pumpkins in a jar. You have to make pumpkin anything out of a real live pumpkin. Great. Jan said there is probably a conspiracy with the pumpkin farmers guild to keep pumpkin puree off the market and I am starting to agree.

No comments: